For this holiday season, we are going to show you how to make a felt fox ornament. This is an easy project that can be completed pretty quickly.
All you need for the materials is some felt pieces and a few sewing supplies. Make sure to grab the felt fox pattern we include as well!!
Make sure to grab the free printable pattern template so you can craft your own fox.
Making this little winter fox is a fun Christmas craft for kids and adults.
So, if you’re ready to get started making this fun DIY felt ornament, follow the instructions below!
To make this little felt fox ornament you’ll need some pieces of felt fabric. We just used the cheap felt that comes from the craft store.
The colors we chose are as follows:
- Orange: For the fox body and base
- White: For the accents on the belly, face and tail.
- Black: For the nose, but this is optional, you can always just stitch a little nose instead.
- Pink: For blushing cheeks
You’ll need the printable fox template which you can grab below.
You’ll also need some basic sewing supplies like a needle, some thread (we used black, orange, brown and pink) along with a pair of scissors.
How to Make a Felt Fox Ornament
Here we’ll show you step by step how to make your own little felt fox Christmas ornament.
We include a free printable fox pattern that can be printed and used again and again.
If you plan on making several foxes, I suggest going through the steps fully once, then batch creating your foxes doing several copies of each step.
Step One: Grab the Felt Fox Pattern
First, download the felt fox printable pattern. You’ll find it at the end of this tutorial.
It’s a template that includes the base of the fox along with it’s head, lower body, tail, tip of the tail, ears, face, nose, belly and blushing cheeks.
Once it’s downloaded, print and cut out all of the pattern pieces.
Next, trace the base, the head, the lower body and 2 tail patterns on orange or brown felt.
Then trace the belly, the tip of the tail, the inner ear pieces and the face on white colored or cream colored felt.
Then trace the nose pattern onto some black felt and the blush pattern on the pink felt.
Then cut all of your traced pattern pieces from the felts.
Step Two: Create the Fox Ears
Now grab the inner ear template pieces and stitch them into the center of the ears of the fox’s head pattern.
Step 3: Stich the Belly
Next, stitch the white belly piece on the center of the fox’s lower body template like shown above.
Step 4: Stich the fox’s face
Stich the face cutout onto the bottom area of the head pattern.
Step 5: Create the fox’s faces
Using black thread, you’ll now start stitching a few small details onto the fox’s face. Stich a set of eyes onto the white head area and then stitch on the nose into the center of the fox’s face.
You can also create a small mouth for your fox as well or leave him without one. It’s up to you.
Finally, using pink thread, stitch on the blush cutouts onto each side of the face.
Step 6: Stich the Tail
Next, stitch the white tail tip on either one of the tail cutouts and then attach both of the tail patterns together around the sides.
Step 7: Create the Base of the Fox Ornament
Now, layer the lower body template onto the bottom side of the fox base cut out. Stich the two bottom sides of both pieces together.
Step 8: Putting the Pieces Together
Insert a cm or half of the bottom side of the tail pattern on either side of the base and lower body pattern.
Stitch that side of the pattern to join the base, lower body and tail together.
Place the fox’s head on the top part of the fox base pattern.
Step 9: Stitch up the Pieces
Stich around the side of the fox’s head to attach it to the base and the lower body patterns like shown above.
Be sure to keep a small opening on one side of the lower body while stitching it.
Next, you can use the leftover scrap pieces of felt to stuff your fox and add a little body. A cotton ball works well too.
Step 10: Finish up your Felt Fox Ornament
Once your little fox is all stuffed (but not overstuffed) sew together the opening to close it up. Then cut out a small strip of felt and tie it around the fox’s neck to look like a scarf.
Finally, add a cute ribbon loop to the backside of your felt fox so you can hang it on your tree.
And voila! You’ve got a finished felt fox ornament ready to hang or give as a handmade gift this holiday season.
I didn’t get a chance to snap a photo of this little fox on the actual Christmas tree, but I photoshopped him into one so you can see how cute he’d be in his little fir home.
He looks super cute and cozy right?
And if you want to grab the free fox pattern template you can get it below!
Make sure to check out the rest of our winter crafts for kids.
This adorable DIY felt fox ornament is a gorgeous handmade felt Christmas ornament that looks great on any tree. It also makes a wonderful gift or a fun craft to make and sell for extra holiday money.
- Felt fabrics (We used orange, white, black and pink)
- Thread (We used orange, brown, black and pink)
- Scrap felt or cotton ball
- Sewing Needle
- Pencil or pen
- Printout the felt fox template from our craft printable library. Trace the base, head, lower body and the 2 tail patterns onto orange or brown felt. Trace the belly, tail tip, inner ear parts and the face template on white or cream colored felt. Trace the nose onto black felt and the blush patterns onto pink felt. Cut out all the felt pieces of the fox.
- Stitch the inner ear pieces in the center of the ear parts of the head cutout.
- Stitch the white belly cutout on the bottom side of the lower body cutout.
- Stitch the face piece on the bottom side of the head pattern.
- Next, using black thread, stitch eyes on the face part and stitch the nose onto the upper-middle part of the face pattern. Stitch the blush pieces on both (lower) sides of the face part.
- Stitch the tail tip on any one of the tail cutouts and then attach both tail patterns together around the sides.
- Place the lower body pattern on the bottom side of the base cutout and stitch the bottom sides of both pieces together.
- Insert half of the bottom side of the tail pattern (about 1 cm) on either side of the base and lower body pattern. Stitch that side of the pattern to join the base, lower body and tail together. Place the head pattern on the top part of the base pattern.
- Stitch around the side of the head to attach it with the body base and the lower body pattern. Keep a small opening on a side of the lower body while stitching it. Stuff the felt fox pattern with scrap felt or cotton ball.
- Close the opening to secure the stuffing. Cut out a small strip of felt and tie it around the neck of the felt fox plushie. Attach a small ribbon loop on the backside of the felt fox to use it as an ornament.
Have fun with your color choices. For a more seamless look try to match your thread color with the felt color that your sewing on.