Today we have a delicious old fashioned apple crisp recipe made with oats! This means it's completely gluten free and totally delicious.
Its perfect for a hot, fresh-baked dessert. Especially in the fall when the apples are perfectly sweet and crisp.
This recipe just feels good to eat and is ridiculously easy to make.
This delicious apple crisp so one of our favorite fall desserts!
Not only does it taste amazing and feel decadent (especially with a heaping scoop of vanilla bean ice cream) but you wouldn't believe that it's both gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
In this recipe we use a bit of fresh thyme, which adds just the subtlest of savory notes, which makes the sweet flavors pop!
It's a fun twist on a classic apple crisp recipe.
Table of Contents
Which Type of Apple to Use for an Apple Crisp?
When choosing an apple to make an apple crisp, try a Granny Smith apple or pink lady.
You want an apple that is sweet but holds up well through baking.
We're going to split the ingredient list for this apple crisp recipe into 2 sections.
The ingredients for the apple filling and the ingredients for the "crisp" topping.
For the Apple Filling
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Maple Syrup
- Apple Juice
- Fresh Thyme
For the Crisp Topping
- Rolled Oats
- Almond Flour
- Sliced Almonds
- Unsalted Butter
Also, be sure to have some vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream to serve on top of your crisp!
To get started making your apple crisp, make sure that the top oven rack is positioned into the center of your oven.
Preheat your oven and prepare your baking dish.
Put your apples into a mixing bowl and add in your apple juice, syrup, spices, salt and fresh thyme and toss well.
Then make your crisp topping in a separate bowl.
Stir until the oats are completely coated and all of the ingredients are mixed well.
Layer your apples evenly in your baking dish and add your crisp topping. Bake, let cool and enjoy!
This is insanely good with some vanilla icing.
This apple crisp recipe is insanely good. You wouldn't believe it's gluten-free! Top with fresh vanilla bean ice cream and you have a heavenly dessert.
Apple Filling Ingredients
- 6 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ c. real maple syrup
- 2 T. 100% apple juice (sugar free)
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground allspice
- 1½ t. fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ t. salt
Crisp Topping Ingredients
- 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ c. almond flour
- ⅓ c. almonds, sliced
- ⅓ c. honey, preferably local
- 3 T. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set out of the way.
- Place cut up apple pieces in a large glass or plastic mixing bowl and toss with lemon juice. Toss in the maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon powder, allspice, fresh thyme and salt.
- Set the apple mixture to the side and start to prep the crisp topping.
- Combine all of the topping ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Stir until oats are completely coated and all ingredients are well combined and set aside.
- Grab the apple filling mixture and spread out evenly in your greased pan.
- Next, spread out the crisp topping onto the apple mixture and spread across in a nice, uniform layer.
- Place your prepared apple crisp into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the topping should be nicely browned and crisp looking. Cover with foil.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve while still warm with a heaping scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
When selecting apples for your apple crispt, choose firm apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady for this recipe. These varieties hold up well to the heat of baking without turning to mush.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 9gSugar: 50gProtein: 5g