Today we are making a fun version of the oh so popular hot cocoa bombs. This time we added a magical touch and created Harry Potter hot chocolate bombs!
Who doesn't love Harry Potter? I'm a huge fan. It always just feels so good to snuggle up and watch the movies with my kids.
So whipping up a little Harry Potter fun is always a good idea. In the past we've created Harry Potter Cupcakes. Today it's Hot cocoa bombs!
It's surprisingly easy to make your own hot cocoa bombs. All you need is some chocolate melts and hot chocolate.
We added fun toppings inside so that the cocoa bombs are more fun when they melt.
To make our hot chocolate bomb ooze the Harry Potter vibes we added fun Harry Potter themed sprinkles and a Hedwig candy!
These would make awesome Harry Potter gifts to give to your favorite Potter head. So lets get to it.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click a link and make a purchase we may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you!
Table of Contents
Ingredients Used for Harry Potter Hot Chocolate Bombs
For these bombs we used chocolate melts, our favorite hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows, these awesome Mixed Wizard Sprinkles and Hedwig candies we found on Esty.
Of course if your making your own hot cocoa bombs as home, you can get creative and use whatever type of colored sprinkles and candy toppers you like to give that Harry Potter feel.
You'll also need a hot chocolate bomb mold.
Picking your chocolate to melt
When choosing which kind of chocolate you want to act as the cocoa bomb itself you can use real chocolate or those candy melts found in the baking isle.
We used cake flavor candy melts! Which add a yummy flavor to our hot chocolate bombs.
You could choose any flavored candy you like though. During the holidays mint chocolate is a common fave and these would make delicious minty hot chocolate bombs.
Pinking Your Harry Potter Themed Toppings
To make your hot cocoa bombs scream Harry Potter, you need some fun sprinkles and toppers.
We used a pretty wizard mix sprinkle but they have some other great ones on Etsy too.
Amazon has fun Harry Potter themed sprinkles as well.
As far as candy toppers you can some fun white owl toppers here that would look amazing. Of course, you don't absolutely need the toppers.
If you just have the colored sprinkles they'll still look great.
How to Make Harry Potter Hot Cocoa Bombs
Alright, now that you have all the ingredients you need gathered to create you hot chocolate bombs, it's time for the fun part, to start making them!
Creating your Hot Cocoa Shells
To make your Harry Potter hot cocoa bombs you'll want to start by melting your chocolate candy melts. You can either melt in the microwave or use the double boil method.
Once your chocolate is completely melted you'll want to start coating your hot cocoa bomb molds.
To do this place about 1 tablespoons worth of melted chocolate into the bomb mold and use a spoon to spread the chocolate over the entire area of the mold.
You want to make sure to cover the sides of the mold up to the edge of the cup, keeping it as thick and even as possible.
You'll want them to look like the photo below.
Repeat with all 12 bomb mold halves.
Once your molds are filled, put the rest of your melted chocolate into a piping bag with a small tip or into a zip lock bag to use later to decorate your chocolate bombs.
Pop your chocolate molds into the freezer for about 5 minutes so they set quickly and keep their shapes.
Remove the molds from your freezer and then carefully remove each of the sphere halves from the hot cocoa mold.
Filling your Hot Cocoa Bombs
Now your bombs are ready to fill with the hot cocoa!
Fill up each 6 of your bomb halves with a tablespoon of hot chocolate mix, a teaspoon of harry potter themed sprinkles and several mini marshmallows.
Fusing the Hot Chocolate Bombs
Next, were going to melt the bomb halves together to create a full hot cocoa bomb.
To do this, heat a plate in the microwave until it's warm to the touch. This will help us melt the edges of the bomb so they stick together.
Press on of the empty bomb halves open side down flat onto the plate for about 10 seconds. The edges should start to gently melt.
Next, quickly press the warmed edge to one of the filled cups so they join together.
Carefully hold your bomb still until the chocolate has cooled again and the bomb is fused together.
Decorating the Harry Potter Hot Cocoa Bomb
The best part of these cocoa bombs are all the fun Harry Potter toppings!
Next, using the left over melted chocolate we put in the piping bag. If you are using a zip lock back push all the chocolate to one corner and snip a tiny hole in the tip.
Drizzle the leftover melted chocolate all over the top of you hot cocoa bombs and immediately add in our harry potter sprinkles.
To finish off your hot cocoa bombs, add a small amount of the melted chocolate on the back of your owl candy decoration and attach it to the top of the bomb.
Once your bombs are complete, pop them in the freezer again for 5 minutes to allow them to set completely without the sprinkles or candies sliding off.
Now you can store your bombs in an air tight container or wrap up in cellophane and give as gifts.
To use the hot chocolate bombs, place one bomb in a large mug and pour 2 cups of hot milk over the top.
Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and the cocoa mixed in.
Harry Potter Hot Chocolate Bombs
These adorable Harry Potter hot chocolate bombs are such a cute and fun way to drink hot cocoa. Whip a few of these up and give as gifts to your favorite Harry Potter fans.
- 2 cups Chopped Chocolate or Candy Melts
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- ½ cup Harry Potter themed Sprinkles
- 6 Owl Icing Toppers (optional)
- Place chocolate or candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package or use the double boiler method to melt your chocolate.
- Place a tablespoon amount of melted chocolate into the bomb mold and spread evenly coating the entire sphere area of the mold. Press the chocolate up along the sides of the mold. You want a thick even coating.
- Repeat with all 12 half spheres of mold.
- Place leftover melted chocolate in ziplock bag or piping bag with small tip.
- Place the molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the molds from freezer and carefully remove each bomb half from the mold.
- Fill 6 of the chocolate half spheres with a tablespoon of hot cocoa mix, 1 teaspoon of harry potter sprinkles and a small handfull of mini marshmallows.
- Heat a play in the microwave until its warm to the touch.
- Press empty chocolate bomb halves open side down onto the flat portion of the warmed plate until the edges slightly melt (About 10 seconds)
- Once the edges are melted place warmed half of cocoa mold onto a filled cup and hold together until chocolate cools, binding both halves together.
- Repeat with the rest of your cocoa bombs.
- Using your leftover melted chocolate, drizzle chocolate over your hot chocolate bombs and immediately add your harry potter themed sprinkles all over the wet chocolate.
- If using the owl candy toppers, apply a small amount of melted cholate to the back of the owl candy and press into the top of your cocoa bomb.
- Place the finished hot chocolate bombs into your freezer for 5 minutes to set them before the sprinkles slide off.
- Remove bombs from freezer and place in an air tight container until ready to use.
- To use your Harry Potter hot cocoa bombs, put them a large mug and pour 2 cups of very hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and the cocoa mixed in.
Have fun picking out your themed sprinkles and candy topping. The possibilities are endless. Of course you can always match the colors with your favorite Harry Potter house.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1187Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 849mgCarbohydrates: 206gFiber: 8gSugar: 164gProtein: 15g
Share your Ideas!