Father's day is almost here! And we have a fun DIY card for dad on his special day.
A DIY Father's day shirt card!
How cute are these? Nothing says dear old dad like a button down shirt and coordinating tie.
We even have a free printable template for you to make it super easy.
Table of Contents
- Father's Day Shirt Card Supplies
- How to Make Your DIY Father's Day Shirt Card
- DIY Father's Day Shirt Card
Father's Day Shirt Card Supplies
- Craft paper in different fun colors
- Craft glue or Glue stick
- Father's day shirt card printable template (available in our printable library.)
How to Make Your DIY Father's Day Shirt Card
While construction paper will work for this craft, I suggest using the nicer craft paper that you can find in the craft store. The colors tend to be nicer and the folds are a little crisper.
Regardless, your card will still end up with a cute shirt card dad (or granddad) will love!
Step 1: Print and cut your shirt card template
First, make sure to grab our free printable Father's day shirt card template in the craft resource library. This will make it super easy to end up with a gorgeous card in no time.
Once you have it printed, cut out the template pieces so you can trace them onto your craft paper.
The large rectangle shape is the card base and will be your shirt color.
The template also includes a piece for the tie, it's stripes, a shirt pocket, and 2 buttons.
Have fun picking your colors, as this will add character to your shirt. For the main shirt color, if you have a fun 2 sided piece of paper with a pattern on one side, you'll end up with a fun pattern along the collar!
Step 2: Make the tie
Now that all of your pieces are cut out. You can take the tie pattern and add thin stripes to the tie for a fun patter. Of course, if you'd rather you could use a fun patterned piece of paper instead.
After your stripes are secured onto the tie with some glue, cut any extra parts off of the strips along the outer board of the tie.
Step 3: Trim Up Your Card Template
Notice the small rectangular part on the card pattern. Cut that part of the card out and cut slits along the red lines of the template. It should look like the image below.
Step 4: Fold Your Card
Fold the rectangular piece of craft paper in half to resemble a card like the photo below.
Step 5: Add Your Tie
Now glue down the tie you made to the front of your card. Level the top of the tie with the line along the slits like pictured below.
Step 6: Fold Your Shirt
Next, fold the thin parts of the slits and bring the corner on the middle of the slit line. It should form small diamonds. Use the picture below to see what I mean.
This will form the collar of your fathers day shirt card.
Apply some glue to hold their position. Now your paper shirt card is close to ready!
Step 7: Add Your Shirt Buttons
Now grab your two small circle cutouts and place them on the collar of your paper shirt.
Step 8: Add a Shirt Pocket
As a final touch, add you shirt pocket and glue it down. You can put it on either side of the shirt. It can be the color of your tie, or a completely different pattern.
It's all personal preference!
Allow the glue of your shirt card to dry completely. Then add a fun father's day message inside.
Dad will surely love this fun little creative card.
These adorable DIY Cards are made to look like dear old dads shirt! We'll show you step by step how you can make your own Father's day shirt card.
- Craft paper in different colors or patterns
- Printable shirt card template
- Print your father's day shirt card template. Cut out all the pieces and trace onto your craft paper. The large rectangle will be your card base, and the majority of your shirt. It also includes a tie, collar buttons and a shirt pocket.
- Take the tie pattern and add your thin cut out stripes. We placed ours in a slight diagonal pattern. Glue in place and trim off any extra to create a nice neat tie shape.
- Cut out the small rectangle from your main card template, and cut your slits along the red lines of the template.
- Fold you paper in half to for a card, leaving the slit pieces in the front.
- Attach your tie to the front side of the card, lining up the top of the tie along the bottom lines of the slits.
- Fold the thin pieces of the slits, bringing the top corner on the middle of the slit line and glue down in place.
- Now glue the two small circles to to the collar corners to create nice shirt buttons.
- Finally attach the pocket cutout on either side of the shirt.
- Allow all the glue to dry completely and write a father's day message inside.